Wednesday, July 9, 2014

10 Photos from Saturday

watermelon house near Logan Circle in Washington, DC
Last weekend was gorgeous. I mean really, really. When the weatherman says the phrase "low humidity," which is so rare in the swampland that is DC, people usually do a double take, then drop everything and head outside. We had planned to do work on the house all weekend, but those plans were deferred for lazing about outside, enjoying the breeze (there was a breeze!) and just in general loving life.

Le Diplomate restaurant in Washington, DC
We went to eat at Le Diplomate, a French café near Logan Circle.

Le Diplomate in Washington, DC
The whole entryway is beautifully tiled, but I tried to minimize the obnoxious instagramming and just snapped a quick pic.

Le Diplomate in Washington, DC
If anyone's curious, I had a gruyère omelette with a green salad, and it was maybe the best omelette I've ever had in my life. I did actually take a pic with my phone, but it just didn't do it justice.

When we were walking to the restaurant, we saw a stack of books on the street with a "FREE" sign on them, one of which was this beautiful hardbound art book from the National Gallery. I have been really good about not buying books for a while because we really don't have space for them, but it was free and I have my limits, people. It was published in the 60s or 70s and has pretty cool old photos in the intro also. Maybe I'll post some pics of the inside pages later this week.

millennium in Washington, DC
Next stop was millennium, which is a cute shop that stocks mostly mid-century furniture and accessories. We were looking for a nightstand for Peter, and they had a couple of contenders. We didn't have the car, though, and we didn't really see anything we loved enough to drive back into town the same day. I've heard their merchandise turns over quickly, so I doubt either of them are still there at this point.

mid-century furniture in Washington, DC
This shop is tiny but packed with goodness. Maybe they won't notice if I just move into a corner somewhere.

vintage mid-century accessories
vintage mid-century housewares at millennium in Washington, DC

I snapped a few pics when we were walking around, but I'll save those for another post. I can't really remember what else we did that day, but I'm sure it involved coffee and sunshine. :)

So, what about you guys? Did you have an awesome weekend too? Anyone else wanna paint their house like a watermelon?

6 comments:

  1. I love all the colorful buildings! The watermelon is great!
    And great score with the book.
    As happy as I am to be back at home more this week, I'm really glad we got out so much the last couple weeks and enjoyed the sun. I'm glad you were able to get out on this gorgeous day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that watermelon house is the coolest ever. your weekend sounds like it was lovely!

    charity
    www.lostfoundblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should paint your house like a watermelon, it looks awesome! I wouldn't have been able to not take that book. Have you heard of photographer Hendrik Kersten? I made portraits of his daughter, looking like 17th century paintings. He uses everyday objects for hats, like plastic bags and lampshades. I think you might like them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That shop!!! I love everything in there. I don't even know if those things would work in my apartment but I feel like I can make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could totally blend into the background there. Personally, I'd never find you. Actually, that shops looks pretty grand. I love anything that is sleek, so I probably would've wanted to grow about five arms and hug and everything and be all, "Mine. MINE. ALL MINE."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, ART BOOK. You really did score a bargain on that one. Art books are so incredibly expensive. I'd love to see what some of the pages look like! When Zoe, Ty, and I went to that textile museum in Toronto a couple of years ago, we spent quite a bit of time flipping through the books.

    ReplyDelete