Monday, February 9, 2015

Field Trip to the Botanic Garden

Here are a few pics, as promised, from our latest trip to the US Botanic Garden. My absolute favorite time to visit is in winter because as we discovered last year, it's maybe the warmest spot in DC. It really does feel like walking into a warm tropical jungle or a hot desert, depending on the room, which is like heaven when it's 20 degrees outside. Plus, it's so nice to see vibrant, blooming flowers in the dead of winter. It's like a little pick-me-up when you're tired of everything being brown and grey outside.

There was a little terrarium tucked into a corner, and it was so cute! There were little fairies inside, and a miniature tricycle and garden table and lots of plants, of course. I don't know why, but the little potted plants killed me. I love miniature things in general, but I tend to get overexcited when I come across things like this unexpectedly. Wouldn't it be so great to have a sunroom or a little conservatory of your own and recreate something like this inside? I'll just file that away in my "future dream home" plans.

Anyway, if you are currently feeling winter blues, I highly recommend seeking out any type of conservatory or botanical garden in your area. You won't regret it. :)

6 comments:

  1. I have been thinking of taking a trip to the Richmond Botanical Gardens. I think it would be nice to visit but I'm not sure how vibrant it is during the winter. I think its awesome that the one in DC is inside because then you can still see some pretty flowers. You always find awesome things to do there. I really need to take a drive over there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I never thought to visit any Botanical Garden in the winter but that makes perfect sense. I love going to the Brooklyn Botanical Garden in the Spring but i should try to check it out again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great escape from the cold winter days!
    Love the colorful orchids! And that little terrarium is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love botanic gardens, and this one looks great as well! That terrarium!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My in-laws when to the Chicago botanical gardens a few weeks ago and I thought it was brilliant. You guys are all geniuses.

    And yes, you totally need a terrarium like that at your house. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish we had botanical gardens somewhere close to where I live. A little getaway from to cold would be very welcome!

    ReplyDelete